Monday, September 28, 2009

switched antidepressants

Most people lose weight while on treatment. I didn't. I gained weight and I think it was due to the antidepressants. For whatever reason, my G I doctor only prescribes Paxil or Zoloft to his patients. When I failed on the 10 mg dose of Paxil during treatment he referred me to a psychiatrist. My dose was bumped up to 20 mg. I have to say I felt really great on Paxil but the weight gain bothered me. I don't weigh a lot and most people think I look great. But, my clothes are a little tighter and my waist a little thicker. Yes, I'm vain but I'm also pratical. I don't want to buy new clothes. Besides, I like my old clothes.

So, I contacted my family practice doctor and he switched me to Celexa. I think the generic is citalopram. Anyway, I'm just a week into it and I hope to lose a couple of pounds one of these days. It does help that I feel like exercising and have the energy, to boot!

I still feel like it's a blessing that I went on the anti depressants in the first place. I'm much more "settled" in my soul. I'm a much better parent to my children. I don't get as irritated with my husband! I say to anyone contemplating treatment and you have a history of depression or it runs in your family, go on them. You can always come off the antidepressants when it's all over.


No comments: