Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Looking back

I changed my profile picture. It's me standing at the top of a tunnel that was dug out of some rock on the South Island of New Zealand. My husband took it from the bottom of the tunnel. I think the picture is a metaphor of what it's like when one is nearing the end of treatment:

I see light at the end of the tunnel with myself standing at the end. I'm looking back down the path I climbed from, reflecting on the hard times. I'm still standing.

Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's gone by faster than I would have expected. Like life, really.


I was talking with a friend the other day about getting the new puppy about the same time I was diagnosed with Hep C. It's strange, really, how all these stressful things have come about at the same time. But, the upside is that the puppy just turned one and is starting to calm down a bit, and the treatment is almost finished. I will have energy soon and a couple of months of summer to enjoy without taking pills and getting shots. I'm glad I'll be over this stuff soon. I'm determined to start running once I can without getting out of breath or having leg pain. I am going to take my life back and make the most of it. I have learned a huge lesson from going through this and I won't waste it.

1 comment:

Changedit said...

Good on you, clawing your life back is one of the best experiences I have had in recent years. I finally do feel alive again, better than pre-tx even, which is great. You're gonna be ok you know, and everything is gonna fall into place. And one day you can laugh about this all :-) xxx