Friday, March 20, 2009

Two months down.

Just gave myself the 8th shot! Two months down and 4 to go. Woo hoo! I have had a very tiresome week. I don't know if that trip to NYC is what took it out of me or not. I'm hoping I have a good night's sleep tonight. I usually do after my shot. Does anyone else have this same phenomenon happen? I sleep well and wake up rested. It's the only day of the week I feel rested.

My WBCs are a little low. The doctor said he will draw them monthly now. I think the interferon is causing this. I'm slightly anemic, too. Yawn. I know I'm like a broken record at this point.

I found out from one of my partners in crime (another patient) that there is another newbie group starting up April 24. The doctor asked him to come. I want to be asked! I realize I'm a loose cannon sometimes and the doctor is probably worried I will say something stupid. I hope they mention the support group we started. Our next meeting will be April 1st. The irony is not lost on me. :)

2 comments:

Living Dees Life said...

the support group really is awesome! i am very proud of you on getting all that started up :)

can you take supplement vitamins to help counter the anemia?

(you might be already so ignore me if you are..)

my doc put me on prenatals to help me. but prenatals have diff stuff for the female reproductive system :-) i'm not a very good pill taker *slaps her forehead*

ok-i've rambled enough! lol

ChildoftheKing said...

It's just great that you are so actively pursuing ways that you can help others.

I just took my 21st injection last night. I feel ok today, but draggy and don't feel like eating:-(

I live in Canada, so I know that protocol differs, but my blood counts have been so out of whack since week three, that I have been having weekly labs done.

I have been taking Eprex (Procrit in the USA) since week four to try to boost the RBC's and hemoglobin. I can't imagine what my counts would be like without it! (Friday's hemoglobin was 82... that is 8.2 in the USA)

I have been cut back on the Ribavirin and the Interferon depending on blood counts (Platelets are hovering around 20,000 - nasty...)And still the virus remains undetectable. I am so thankful. But the real test will come six months after treatment has ended

You are going to feel tired. Plain and simple. Pace yourself. I am so glad that you are accepting offers of help. Looking after kids is exhausting at the best of times.

I don't think taking extra iron will help.... your iron stores are probably ok... just not enough RBC's to carry the hemoglobin with all that good oxygen all around the body!!!

I found that I adjusted to the direct side effects of both Interferon and Riba very quickly... It's the side effects from the side effects that are hard to cope with. I mean low blood counts are causing pretty much all my grief.

But, I still go to work, (don't have kids at home anymore) and plod my way through... otherwise I am pretty much a hermit. Lots of my friends don't know what I am going through (I have kept it pretty quiet... stigma fear mostly I guess).

Do what you have to do to get through this.... And then we can celebrate when 'the dragon is dead'.

bye for now!