Saturday, April 25, 2009

12 Week doctor's visit

I had my 12 week check up yesterday. The doctor was starting another group of Hep C patients and 3 of us who have already started treatment were there to answer any questions, etc. After that meeting, we had our individual appointments.

Dr. G. came into the room and asked "How are you? You look tired." I replied, "I am." The dog had woke me up the night before, plus waking up to go to the bathroom and don't forget scratching my head in the middle of the night.

He was very excited to tell me that I am still undetectable. I was a rapid responder, so things are looking good for achieving SVR. He then started to ask me about symptoms. He knew I was depressed and asked directly if I was thinking of hurting myself. Hmmm. I couldn't say no. I said I wouldn't hurt myself because I have kids. I will be around for them. But, he wants to send me to a psychiatrist to figure out what anti depressant is best for me. I feel like such a failure. I asked Dr. G. if he would talk to the husband. For whatever reason, my husband doesn't think I'm depressed, but rather just using this as an excuse. Or maybe he thinks I'm depressed, but can help it.

I came home and had a talk with my husband. We agreed we take each other for granted and are going to try to be better. But, my husband doesn't want to talk with the doctor. This is frustrating for me.

I'm going to continue treatment. I would be so upset if the virus came back because I stopped early. I have to know I've done everything I can to beat this.

4 comments:

Living Dees Life said...

i am so sorry to hear your husband doesn't understand. and i wish he'd go talk to your doc! it really would put alot of things into perspective for him...

sending you tons of virtual hugs!! and *you go girl* on being undetectible.

My Other Blog said...

It's so frustrating that your husband doesn't understand. A lot of men have trouble understanding depression. I'm sorry he won't talk with the psychiatrist. A lot of men are afraid of them, for some reason.
You have 12 weeks of this left and you CAN DO IT. There's still time to find the right medication/dose to get rid of of your depression, and then your prognosis for SVR and putting this all behind you is very, very good. Hang in there.

Changedit said...

please dont feel a failure. i tried tx without anti/ds at first, but had to give in and start taking citalopram during the 5th week. i realised then, that i probably wouldnt get through treatment alive, if i didnt. and i do agree, ur hubby should talk to the doctor, he'd get an untainted view of what treatment can be like and probably would believe the professional more than he does you. often partners are just as scared as the affected person and adopt the ostrich stance ... head in the sand. so talking with ur GP might really open his eyes. i wish u luck!!

ChildoftheKing said...

Sounds to me like he is in denial... and one reason for that is because he is SCARED.

Hang in there. Be patient with yourself. Things can be very dark... but there is hope... and a finish line...

Press on... Run the race that is set before you...

And lean on the one that will never let you down!